Thursday, March 21, 2013

Harvest on Wednesday, Then Dinner

There are lots of great websites out there that have a Monday Harvest or something similar, and I would love to link to them, but I can't get my act together by Sunday for a post on Monday. I'm still a busy mom-gardener-chief cook-laundress.....yawn. So you get my point.

With no further ado, here is my produce count for Wednesday.

Top left: Cherry Belle Radish, White Cloud Cauliflower, Red Sails Lettuce
Center: Dried Rose Petals (lovely in a tea with Chamomile)
Bottom left: Pole Beans, Broccoli off shoots. Pepper and Spinach


And then..... I decided to cook some of it as a side dish for our meal. So I sauteed the sprigs of cauliflower in grapeseed oil (the BEST cooking oil ever).



And then I added vidalia onions. Not from my garden though.


When onions are cooked = opaque, add the chopped and seeded pepper, green beans, broccoli, and spinach. Season with salt and pepper, and I used a tablespoon of Hoison sauce. The veggies seem to make its own sauce, if it appears to be drying out, just add a tablespoon of water at a time.


When spinach has melted, top it over your favorite dish.


Jeff Opperman, who writes for The Nature Conservancy online had a great blog post "How Better Meat Can Mean Less Meat....and More Water." I'm all for reducing my water footprint, and if you are too you can find his article here:
Nature.org

Linked within Jeff's post is the link to "Meatless Monday" a who's who of folks giving up Meat on Mondays, and there are lots of great recipes and it's a fun kinda blog.
Meatless Monday

Wednesday - because I didn't have any soy crumbles on Monday for Meatless Monday itself - but the thought was still there on Wednesday - I had soy based chili on a bed of lettuce (which included the Cherry Belle Radish and Red Sails from my harvest) and topped with the hoisin sauteed veggies; absolutely delicious! I like to eat hot food through a cooler salad base. My three men also enjoyed it as a side with their chicken. And guess what, soy based chili takes half the time to heat in a chili than meat, so my energy using footprint was also reduced.

I think I'm going to give myself a big Star (fruit) if not just for "Good effort! But you can do better!" sigh..... do we ever get free of High School?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your garden is still producing nicely. I just love the winter veggie garden. It's so much easier than trying to grow something in summer. I fed the last red sails lettuce to our guinea pig because it was getting a bit too bitter for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan, I fed the outer leaves to my Conures and only ate the little inner leaves. I agree..we are running out of time before everything bolts and turns bitter. It's been a strange winter season for us Floridians.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog and leave a message. Happy Gardening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...