Sunday, May 17, 2015

Growing Roses in South Florida? Of Course You Can!

Many years ago when I lived in southern England, our next door neighbor grew numerous prize roses. The heavenly scent from the multitude of various roses  stayed with me throughout my adult years.







Like most people, I love roses but grew increasingly disappointed with their lack of scent.

Since I have an aromatherapy background I knew that real, Damascan roses, the oil of which is called rose otto, or rose absolute, has an incredible aroma. A delightful and powerful fragrance which is both uplifting and yet calming to the modern frazzled working person.

While living in the USA I tried to grow roses with no success at all. That was until I found the Chrysler Imperial Rose, which has a vibrant, upbeat and delicious fragrance from it's 5" crimson, velvety, blossoms. It will bloom all year long. This rose bush likes full morning sun, aeration and good drainage. I feed ours with coffee grounds and fish emulsion and it repeat its blooms very well as a result. I have noticed that a fresh rainfall seems to invigorate the production of buds more than the garden hose could ever accomplish. Roses also like banana peels and most preferably horse compost. My rose has a half sunken pot right next to its ball root where I pour the cooled, left over water from boiling vegetables.







This is not a rose bush for folks that have children. The bush can get very large and the thorns on the canes are quite wicked.

I had noticed a few years back that the leaves got a little spotted and I added a few drops of Tea Tree essential oil to the sunken pot alongside the rose bush which appears to have taken care of that problem.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you know how to treat your Roses well! I've heard the thing about the banana peels. In fact, I've been told that other plants (including Hibiscus) like banana peels, too. I seem to remember the method of having the sunken pot next to the roses. I've never tried it myself, but it makes some sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - they are high maintenance for sure, but the benefits outweigh the attention.The sunken pot in which to throw banana skins, coffee grounds and cooled, veggie water does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful rose! I've never grown that rose, but have a dozen or so in my garden ~ mostly old garden roses or modern shrub types. I like the idea about the half sunken pot. I'm going to give that one a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Chrysler Imperial, the scent and the form and color. Mr. Lincoln is another one that is great here in FL.

    I like your idea of the half sunken pot.

    Happy Gardening and have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read my blog and leave a message. Happy Gardening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...